THE CREEPY COCKROACH
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT COCKROACHES
- Cockroaches can tolerate cold environments. They can even withstand places that have a temperature as low as 35 F.
- Cockroaches can run very fast! They can run as fast as 3 miles/hour, which is equivalent to about 200 miles/hour in humans.
- The largest cockroach recorded has a wingspan of 12”, and is 6” long. However, cockroaches differ in sizes. They are usually about 0.5“ to 2” long.
- Cockroaches rest 75% of the time. They prefer to rest during the day and go out during the night to find food & water.
HOW LONG CAN COCKROACHES SURVIVE?
- Without Food – 2 Months
- Without Water – 1 Month
- Without Head – 1 Week
- Without Air – 40 Minutes
There are 4,000 species of cockroaches in the world.
There are 70 species of cockroaches in the U.S.
Cockroaches can be found all over the world, except Antarctica. They have been around for over 280 million years.
COMMON COCKROACHES IN THE UNITED STATES
- German Cockroach – German cockroach is the most common cockroach infesting homes, hotels, restaurants and other buildings.
- Brown-banded Cockroach – Brown-banded cockroaches are small cockroaches; they usually measure just half an inch long. They prefer warmer locations about 80 F.
- American Cockroach – American cockroaches usually live outdoors. However, they also infest residential homes and commercial places.
78 % – 98 % of urban homes in the U.S. have cockroaches according to Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
There are approximately 900 to 330,000 cockroaches in an infested home.
THE DANGERS OF COCKROACHES
Cockroaches are considered disgusting pests. Most people find them hideous without fully knowing the harm they can bring. Here are just some of the problems that these creepy crawlers can cause:
- Transmit Diseases
- Cause Allergies
- Leave Stains
- Contaminate Food
- Produce Nasty Smell
- Damage Items
WAYS TO PREVENT COCKROACH INFESTATION
Cockroaches are hard to control because they multiply rapidly. That’s why it’s important to prevent them from infesting in the first place. Here are simple ways to prevent cockroach infestation in homes and other establishments:
- Store food in sturdy containers with tight-fitting covers
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in the kitchen overnight
- Remove trash inside the home on a regular basis
- Fix leaking pipes and faucets to control moisture
- Degrease your kitchen and kitchen items frequently
- Wipe areas where food or liquids have spilled immediately
- Inspect items before bringing them into your home
- Seal cracks and crevices to prevent entry of roaches
Cockroaches need a warm shelter with access to food and water in order to live. Take all those things and they will not be able to survive in your home.
SIGNS OF COCKROACH INFESTATION
• Visible cockroaches during the day
• Presence of feces which look like coffee grounds
• Very unpleasant odor especially when infestation is severe.
If you think your place is infested with cockroaches, speak to a pest professional. They will properly identify the species of cockroach and eliminate them effectively.
Preventive Pest Control provides fast and effective cockroach extermination and helps prevent them from coming back. Get help now!
Pest World – http://www.pestworld.org/
Pest World for Kids – http://www.pestworldforkids.org/
County of Los Angeles – http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/
City of Philadelphia http://www.phila.gov/
University of California IPM Online – http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/
Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences Entomology – http://ento.psu.edu/